Whew! It’s been a busy few weeks. Days after the last newsletter, Stability AI fully open sourced
their Stable Diffusion model, launching a Cambrian explosion of new Colab notebooks, apps, services and controversy. It’s kind of overwhelming keeping track of it all, but here’s some highlights:
Stable Diffusion Web UI
– Friendly web-based UI to SD, much easier than working with the command line. Can be run locally
or with Google Colab
Local Stable Diffusion
– Still can’t quite get my head around the fact that SD runs happily on my MacBook Air, especially considering I need an A100 on Colab for VQGAN to work properly. Takes some setting up but has loads of extra features including a chatbot interface and a basic web UI.
– Mac App that packages the whole thing up into an easy to use GUI app. Very barebones and doesn’t cover all the options, but is the easiest way to get started running it yourself.
Stable Diffusion Outpainting
– Outpaint with SD on an infinite canvas. Github
. Bit glitchy on Colab but it’s an interesting proof-of-concept.
– Stability AI’s commercial competitor to MidJourney and Dall-e 2. Easy to use and rapidly getting new features.
Have I been trained
– A tool for artists to see if they’re in the LAION-5B dataset (and potentially opt out), but also useful for researching prompts.